Monday 22 July 2013

Is Originality Dead in Hollywood?

I  don't know if you've noticed this but creativity seems to be dead in Hollywood, especially in the movie industry. 

You've probably noticed this. 

It isn't exactly that hard to miss. 

After all, everything released in cinemas in the last decade are adaptations of books/comics (apparently every single best seller must be converted into a movie, otherwise it's not really a best seller), or it's a sequel or a prequel to an already existing movie. There's even been a few remakes/reboots. 

Nothing too original in the top blockbusters of the last 13 years. I mean there's the odd completely original movie in there. But they're a rare thing. They're mostly just adaptations, sequels/prequels or reboots. And I'm getting sick of it. For a start, it's making me lazy: there really isn't point reading the book if it's going to end up on the big screen in a couple of years anyway. Or the movie turns out to be a massive let down, because the original was better or the original story was butchered in the adaptation (which I guess also fits into the whole "the original was better" argument). Don't even get me started on sequels. They're pretty much hit and miss, which is better than prequels, which usually suck. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving all the Marvel movies, and the latest Batman movies (but not superman. Never really been a Superman fan), and I am looking forward to seeing Catching Fire movie later this year (even if none of the tributes except Finnick look anything like I imagined them [anothet issue with adaptations]). And I'm also really looking forward to the Veronica Mars movie, and I really want Captain Planet to be made into a movie (if only so a whole new generation can experience the awesomeness of Captain Planet). 

But what I really want to see happening again is movies that aren't some kind of adaptation, sequel or prequel or a remake. You know, something that's vaguely original. 

Unfortunately, though, originality seems to have left mainstream culture these days. Although, I suppose that's a good thing for all those struggling indie writers. They're now getting more of a chance at success. Or, at least, they will once people start tiring of all of the unoriginal movies being presented in mainstream cinemas. 

Or maybe it's just me with this issue. Let me know what you think. 

Peace out!
Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment