Monday 15 July 2013

That Rumoured Dexter Spinoff



Yeah so I've been thinking about this rumoured Dexter spinoff. It's all I've been able to think about since hearing this rumour (I've haven't exactly kept my ear to the ground with these things lately). And honest to god I honestly can't see how there could be a spinoff ... well, actually, seeing the spinoff is easy. Seeing a successful spinoff is a little more difficult. I just don't think it can be done with any of that wonderful Dexter originality. 

I mean, the whole reason Dexter has been so successful is because of its originality: it's all about a serial killer who just happens to also be a cop (blood splatter expert actually. But I'm not nit picking). How many other TV shows like that are out there? 

Not many. 

They give us into an insight into our darker side (which we all try to pretend that we don't have). Dexter even gives us a slight insight into how the mind of a serial killer works, their codes of conduct and how they choose their victims, rah, rah, rah. And did I mention it appeals to our darker natures, that whole serial killer amongst us thing. It's also probably why The Following was so popular (I liked The Following, and therefore assume everyone else did too). Although, truth be told, Kevin Bacon probably also helped a lot with the popularity of The Following. 



But what can a spinoff of Dexter offer us? 

A cop show? 

Because there's nothing like that on TV already. 

But this cop show would be set in Miami with the police solving murders in the beautiful Miami scenery!

Hmmm. Kind of sounds like CSI Miami though (it's been awhile since I watched that. They still solve murders that happened in the more beautiful parts of Miami most of the time, right?). 

So another cop show is out. So how about something a little more Dexter like? A show about some crook who also just happens to be a cop? Hell, the spinoff could even be about Deb continuing on with Dexter's work! It doesn't even have to be Deb continuing his work. It could also be his babysitter, Jamie Harrison is probably a little young to continue on with his father's work (although that would be quite the twist for them to reveal who the killer is after a couple of seasons of them wondering and searching). 

But even that's just relying on the old Dexter formula. Nothing truly original and inspiring there. 

Of course I could be wrong. I could have overlooked something and a Dexter spinoff could actually work. I wouldn't know. I'm not a big Hollywood producer/executive after all. 

But thank god that Dexter executive producer quashed the spinoff rumours for the time being though, right. 

Peace out!
Fox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment